So let's turn this around and get on with whatever the fyck needs doing. We live in a time of massive change and upheaval, and if this isn't a solarpunk opportunity handed to us on a plate, then what is? And on a yang-pagan-christian-ritual note, Easter Sunday just felt like a perfect day to bring new energy into the world. Take your symbols seriously.
Some quick house rules: Format may change drastically in future. Timing may be weekly, fortnightly or monthly, TBD. Feedback and chatter welcome! - scroll down for contact deets, but I also get final say over what links make it in. Subscribe via RSS or email on the original blogger page, but a proper newsletter might turn up one day.
As this is a first, experimental, effort, the links below are a mix of my own bookmarks, things which have inspired me, and posts on Twitter and Reddit which piqued my curiosity.
- #gov: UK Government Digital Service looking at how to help gov sites reduce carbon emissions through simpler webpages. “We should all be asking ourselves could we use and waste less,” she said.
- #scale: World's largest floating solar farm in China
- #change: Self-sufficiency Defies Common Sense - looking at reactions to self-sufficiency via article comments.
- #emptytech: A Mindful Approach to Technology - an old article, but there you go. Decide what you want to do first, then find the tools to do it. Use a dumb notebook to avoid using a smart phone.
- #change: Why Bodhisattvas Need to Disrupt the Status Quo. "We are so used to systems of oppression that we have forgotten how to live in a way that is not separate."
- #music: H Takahashi - Sonne und Wasser. "Tokyo-based artist H.Takahashi links [sun and water] these two essential elements for plant growth across four extended works of pulse minimalism."
- #stories: And lately, the sun accepting short story submissions for a future anthology, deadline 30th June 2020.
- #art: Riitta Päiväläinen - River Notes:
- #trees: The BBC looks into the realities of mass tree planting
- #homegrid: Wired: The Power Plant of the Future Is Right in Your Home
- #battery: Research into an "all-organic proton battery that can be charged in a matter of seconds using a solar cell"
- #books: Retrosuburbia: Downshifter's Guide to a Resilient Future via solarpunks.net - hard copy available to buy, online copy pay-what-you-feel. UK hard copy store
Get in touch
For any feedback, suggestions, comments, or general 'hi there' type stuff, leave a comment, or you can find me hanging out in any of these places:
- Mastodon: @email@example.com
- Gnu/social: @firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @6loss
- XMPP: email@example.com
Fun fact: This post should auto-publish the minute the sun comes up over my home town.